Sunday, March 14, 2010

Vegan Potstickers

 I was left with some bok choy from the farmers market (where it is super cheap by the way, so don't get lured in by the expensive stuff in the produce section of the grocery store. I bought 3 heads of baby boy choy for like a dollar). Bok choy is one of those vegetables that I didn't know existed until very recently. I read about it in Skinny Bitch, but what really sold me on the whole idea was a list of super foods that I saw hanging in the Whole Foods elevator one day. It listed out foods along with their nutrient score. Since you are wondering, Dr Joel Fuhrman is credited with calculating the nutrient score for different foods. Nutrient density is based on vitamins and minerals in a food and ranks them on a scale of 1 to 1,000. Bok Choy scores a whoping 824. Soda scores a 1. Any questions?
This got me to thinking that someone really should team up with some sort of health food company or government organization to build out a video game where kids learn about nutrient density by scoring points for collecting certain foods. It could be just like pac man, but where they have to avoid the cans of soda and chomp up all of the boy choy, kale, and collared greens they can get their little pac-mouths around. If any of you develop such an idea, just remember that I have it timestamped here, so you might as well save us a costly litigation and cut me in on royalties from the get-go.
So I had all this bok choy, and didn't feel like another stir fry. I wanted something....sassier. I really love potstickers. I actually love just about any bite-sized food. New Years eve is my favorite holiday as far as food is concerned, because everything fits so nicely on a cocktail napkin. So, I threw some stuff together to resemble a filling and work it out. The one issue with this recipe is that it made about twice as many potstickers as I wanted, but some friends were happy to take them off of my hands.

Vegan Potstickers
yields 31 potstickers at 32 calories each
  • 1/2 lb. tofu, rinsed, drained, dried, cubed, then mashed
  • 1/2 c. shredded carrot
  • 1/2 c. chopped bok choy
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp. sesame seeds
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • pot sticker wrappers (check the label to ensure vegan goodness)
  1. Take a block of tofu and run it underneath some cool water, then place it in between two paper towels and squeeze it to remove excess moisture. Cut it into 1/2" cubes and then mash it with a fork. It doesn't have to be super smooth.
  2. Shred carrots, chop bok choy, and mince garlic.
  3. Coat a pan with cooking spray and add garlic. Sautee for 1 minute before adding vegetables. Cook for about 3 minutes and remove from heat. 
  4. Combine vegetable mixture, tofu, sesame seeds, and soy sauce. 
  5. Place 1 tsp. of the filling in the middle of each potsticker wrapper
  6. Moisten the sides of the wrapper and seal shut
  7. Spray a frying pan with nonstick cooking spray and arrange potstickers in a single layer. Cook over medium-high heat until thy are golden brown. Flip and repeat. 
  8. Add 1/2 c. of water, cover, and steam for 1 minute. Take off the cover and cook until all liquid is absorbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment