Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Florentine Tofu Scramble

This past weekend, I made a spinach and basil pasta salad for a veggie hikers potluck. It was a pretty good pasta salad, although nowhere near as delicious as some of the other food that people brought. It left me with a good deal of leftover basil. One day I'm going to get myself a window box and plant some herbs in it, so that I can avoid the mess of having to buy such a huge package of basil. I've literally used basil every day this week: pesto pasta salad on Sunday, pesto sauce on my pizza on Monday, basil on top of my stir fry on Tuesday, and today I used it in my tofu scramble. 
Catherine de Medici is credited with introducing the term "florentine" into french cooking. In 1550, she declared that anything with spinach would be refered to as florentine. Unfortunately, it has come to traditionally refer to a dish with spinach AND a creamy sauce. My tofu scramble has no such creamy sauce, but I'm going to stick with Catherine on this one and call it Tofu Florentine. The important thing is that it is absolutely delicious. I've tried making tofu scramble before and was not 100% impressed with the flavor profile that I put together. This scramble, however, is exactly what one would expect. It's made light by the spinach and grape tomatoes, but is still delicious and filling. I served it on top of an english muffin, and it is probably the best breakfast I've had so far this week.

Tofu Florentine
  • 3.5 oz. firm tofu
  • 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast
  • yellow curry powder
  • salt and fresh ground black pepper
  • 1/2 a clove of garlic
  • 2 grape tomatoes
  • handful of frozen spinach
  • 2 basil leaves
In a nonstick pan, combine frozen spinach and 2 tablespoons of water, stirring frequently. While the spinach is defrosting, mince the garlic and cut the tomatoes into quarters. Roll up the basil leaves and slice lengthwise to create slivers.
Remove the spinach from the pan when it is fully defrosted and warm. Spray the pan with non-stick spray and add the garlic. Cook over medium-high heat until the garlic is browned. While the garlic is cooking, crumble the tofu into a bowl with your hands and mix with the nutritional yeast and a pinch of yellow curry powder. Add salt and pepper to your liking. You may wait until the end to add the salt and pepper, especially if this is your first time with the dish. It allows you to adjust the flavors to your liking.
When the garlic is brown, add the tomatoes, spinach, and tofu. Reduce heat and cook over medium until the texture resembles, well, scrambled eggs. Add the basil and give it a final stir before serving over toast or alongside hashbrowns.
Serves: 1 at 100 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment