Saturday, March 13, 2010

Easy Daiya "Quesa"dilla

The quotation marks are to appease a certain smart-ass coworker of mine who claims that the word vegan quesadilla is an oxymoron.
By now it's no surprise that I am a big advocate of Daiya cheese. This tapioca-based wonder tastes so good, that I would choose it over regular cheese any day. Lately, I've been experimenting a lot with Mexican Food, which is weird because I never used to really care for it. Vegan mexican food is like the holy grail, because most Mexican restaurants are not very vegan friendly. Pure Luck in East Hollywood has a to-die-for burrito, but I have yet to find a vegan quesadilla anywhere but in my very own kitchen. I punch up this quesadilla with sauteed mushrooms, roasted corn, and some garlic salsa. It's very, very easy to make and a great pack-ahead lunch for work.

Quesa-Daiya
2 corn tortillas
1 oz. cheddar daiya
3 medium sized mushrooms
1/4 c. frozen corn
1 Tbsp. of your favorite salsa

Spray a nonstick pan with cooking spray and place the first quesadilla inside. Layer half the cheese, vegetables, salsa, and then the rest of the cheese. Place the second quesadilla on top and press down gently.
Cook 2-3 minutes each side over medium heat, or until cheese is melted.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to try this. As a lactard, I can appreciate a good fake cheese.

    ReplyDelete