Friday, March 19, 2010

30 Days

Today is March 18, 2010. Today I have been vegan for 30 days. It might not seem like a big milestone, but since last time I cracked after 28, it's kind of a big deal for me. I feel amazing. I've especially been focusing on packing my diet full of vegetables, and I really feel like I'm doing it right. I take a daily multivitamin for my B-12, fill up on spinach and leafy green vegetables, and have, for the most part, been able to resist the call of vegan chocolate chip cookies.
My 25th birthday is coming up, and as an ex emo-kid, I like to get a little retrospective around this time of year. I have really had a trans-formative couple of months. I want to thank all of my friends for being so supportive and for all of their positive thoughts. I don't think that I would have been able to get this far without their help. I'd also like to thank all of the vegans that I've met lately. They're a great bunch of people and are always ready to offer recommendations for grocery stores, restaurants, recipes to try, etc. It's a great community and one I am looking forward to being more a part of. You know, before I went vegan I thought that being vegan was about avoiding food and missing out. Now I realize that most vegans love to eat, we just choose to put the right things in our bodies.
I know that I originally went vegan for Lent, which is over in 10 more days, shortly after my birthday. However, I have no intention of going back. I have no desire for any of the meat or cheese that I used to enjoy. My energy is up despite a recent shoulder injury. I'm slowly but surely getting back into my workout routine, and I feel like my new nutrient-packed diet is going to be instrumental in getting into even better shape, inside and out. I would recommend that anyone who feels sluggish or depressed at least consider going vegan for a set period of time. To use a project management term, you should time-box it to start. That helps you dedicate yourself fully to the new routine, because you can always take comfort in the fact that you can go back when you are done. Sometimes it's hard, especially in the beginning. However, your body will eventually let go of its unhealthy cravings and you will see a happier, healthier person in the mirror every morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment