Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Grrl Scout Cookies: Do-si-dont's

And the grrl scout cookie party continues. I wish that this whole idea didn't probably violate a million intellectual property laws, because I really think that this could take off as a business. I'm also having a great time employing my friends to re-name cookies and brainstorm ideas. All of the clever cookie names can be attributed to my friend Carolyn. Check out her blog here. Today we are talking about Do-si-does. Do-si-does are oatmeal sandwich cookies with a peanut-butter filling. I love oatmeal cookies, and I had a great recipe using bananas and plenty of steel-cut oats. I like this particular recipe because wet and dry ingredients get mixed in the same bowl. This means less dishes, and for someone who does not have a dishwasher, that is a very, very big deal.

A disclaimer: I totally screwed up this recipe when I made it. I added an extra half a cup of oats to the batter because I thought it was too wet. As a result, my cookies were a little dry. I combated this by dipping them in soymilk, which was a good solution. However, I am going to save all of you the trouble and let you know how to make them the right way. These cookies can be used for my do-si-don'ts, or you could serve them all by themselves. If I were just using the oatmeal cookie recipe, I would probably have added some raisins into the batter. I love raisins. 
 grrl scout © Carl Pinder, 2010. Used with permission
Do-si-dont's
  • 1 medium banana, mashed
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 1/2 tbsp. egg replacer mixed in 2 tbsp. water
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 3/4 c. flour
  • 1/2 c. steel cut oats, ground into a flour in a food processor
  • 1/2 c. steel cut oats in natural form
  1. Cream banana and sugar. Add egg replacer and beat thoroughly.
  2. Add vanilla, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, flour, and oats, beating well after each.
  3. Drop by golfball-sized scoops onto a greased baking sheet, about 2" apart. 
  4. If making the sandwich cookies, flatten them just a little. 
  5. Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes.


Filling
  • 2 tbsp. peanut butter
  • 1 tbsp. soy milk
  1. Heat the peanut butter and soy milk, either on the stove or in the microwave.
  2. Spread a thin layer in between two cookies. 
36 cookies at 45 calories each

    No comments:

    Post a Comment