Wednesday, June 9, 2010

What Passes for Lunch Around Here

Last week, I found the most delicious brown rice tortillas at Trader Joe's. For some reason, the brown rice made them seem so much more whimsical than regular tortillas. I used them to make my own baked tortilla chips, because most commercially-prepared tortilla chips are laden with fat. Take a handful of those chips and pair them with avocado (which is fatty even if it's a good fat), and you might as well brush up on your Oompa Loompa dance, because that is what you are going to look like if you eat too many. So, I bake my own with a hint of salt and lime and dip them in my guacamole with a smug grin on my face.
Anyway, these tortillas were really delicious and had much more of a bite to them than boring flour tortillas. One morning I was running late for work and needed to throw together something for lunch very quickly. I had tortilla shells and daiya, and I looked around my fridge for odds and ends to turn that into lunch. I ended up throwing some vegetables into the quesadilla and I was quite pleased with the result. I suppose that this particular adventure qualifies as my first "fusion" dish, since fusion is just taking two different cuisines and merging them together. Enjoy.

Quesadilla Fusion
  • 1 brown rice tortilla
  • 1 oz. italian blend daiya cheese
  • 2 artichoke hearts
  • a handful of sundried tomatoes
  • 1/4 c. frozen spinach
  • garlic salt

1- Defrost the spinach by running it under hot water and press it dry.
2- Bring a pan to medium heat and lay the tortilla in it. Sprinkle with daiya, vegetables, and garlic salt.
3- Let the tortilla cook flat for a minute or two until it is easily folded. Don't try to fold it too quickly or it will crack in half and you will feel like an idiot.
4- Fold in half and cook for 4 minutes on each side, until lightly brown and the cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment