Saturday, June 12, 2010

Pirates Chai for Breakfast

Due to a ridiculous language requirement at USC, I spent about twelve thousand dollars (that's three semesters worth) trying to cultivate an interest in the French language and culture. I know a few words "Je suis la jeune fille" for example, but for the most part all of that classroom time was wasted. I really wanted to learn French, but trying to do so while also working, taking a full courseload, and slogging through my Freshman year of college was not a good idea. I did, however, come away from the class with two things: 1: a new appreciation for The Cure's Killin an Arab and 2: a real love of crepes.
It only makes sense that I would be into crepes, considering the fact that I am mad about pancakes. It's worth noting that lately I have been reserving pancakes for weekend mornings and getting by with tofu scramble during the week. I do, however, make a pretty impressive crepe. I think there are a few very key elements to a good crepe.
1. Mixing the batter: I like to use my stand-up blender for this one. It gets the batter really smooth which is important.
2. The flour: you want to use a fine-ground whole wheat pastry flour. It will be light and smooth enough to make your crepes delicate.
3. A large spatula: for flipping.
4. A kick-ass filling: for my crepes I used a filling very similiar to bananas foster, except that I made a mockery of it.
5. Patience: you have to cook the first side of the crepe for a little bit longer than you think, because the top should be pretty much firm before you turn them over.

Vegan Crepes
  • 1 c. soy milk
  • 2 TBSP water
  • 3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 TBSP cornstarch
  • 1 tsp vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp pirates chai
Blend all ingredients in a stand up blender until smooth, and refrigerate mixture for half an hour.
Bring a frying pan to medium heat and spray lightly with oil.
Ladle out about 1/4 of a cup of batter in a thin layer. Let the crepe cook on one side until the top is firm, flip, and cook for about another minute.
Serve with your favorite fruit filling.

Bananas Foster (even though I'm sure this is nothing like the real thing)

  • 1 banana, slices
  • 2 TBSP molasses
  • 1/2 a shot bacardi
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

1. Warm the banana and molasses over high heat.
2. When the mixture starts to bubble, add the bacardi and vanilla and stir until the alchohol burns off and everything reduces nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment