Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Oil-free Chocolate Pie

Going into the Great McDougall experiment, I knew that I had to be prepared with some serious dessert. Despite trying to give it up many times, I have come to the very simple conclusion that dessert is what makes dinner worth eating. It's something to look forward to at the end of a long day (that and an over-sized glass of red wine). Luckily, I found a great recipe on the McDougall forums and tweaked it to better suit my tastes and aversion to sugar.
 As you can see in the picture, I artfully arranged sliced kiwi and cherries on top of the pie. If I were Oprah, cherries would be on my list of favorite things. The pigment in cherries may reduce swelling and inflammation, plus they look really cute on rockabilly dresses and accessories. In all seriousness, I don't think I had ever eaten a non-maraschino cherry until a few weeks ago. I don't know how I went 25 years without them. I also don't know what I'm going to do when all of these fruits and vegetables stop being new to me. Maybe I'll have to start shopping the produce aisles of ethnic grocery stores?



Chocolate Tofu Pie
Can I just say that this recipe was delicious? It totally satisfied my chocolate cravings, but it's oil-free! As a result, a slice of this pie comes in at only 160 calories. 
  • 2 12 oz packages of silken tofu (preferably lite)
  • 3/4 c. cocoa powder
  • 2 TBSP. sugar
    1/4 c. honey
  • 1 TBSP. vanilla
Crust
  • 1 1/2 c high fiber cereal, crushed
  • 3/4 c. apple juice
This is a great and easy recipe. Start by running the cereal through a food processor. Or, you can put it in a ziplock bag and roll a rolling pin over it. Mix this with 3/4 c. apple juice and press into the bottom and sides of an 8 inch cake pan.
Bake the crush at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Let it cool a bit and then start in on your filling.
Blend the tofu in a food processor (we didn't use one which is why my pie looks grainy). Mix in honey, sugar, and cocoa powder and beat together until it's as smooth as possible.
Pour the chocolate tofu mixture into the pie crust and garnish with fruit. Refrigerate for 4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment