Friday, June 25, 2010

Sesame Stir Fry

I'm sitting in bed on a Saturday morning, listening to the Hold Steady because I am that cool, and wondering what I have to say about this stir fry. Usually when I post a recipe, I have some thoughts on society or the universe or some sort of personal ramblings to relate to my readers. I think they make me seem more human, and as I understand it, writers who seem more relate-able tend to sell more books (coming soon to a kindle/i-pad near you).
When I get down to it, this recipe didn't remind me of anything or anyone. I didn't have some sort of lightbulb moment. I don't even have an awful date story to go with it, since it just served as a weeknight dinner. I just had a bunch of tahini and a lot of spare vegetables lying around my apartment.
Stir-fry is always a good dinner option, since its premise is a simple one. Any time three or more vegetables are gathered in its name, the stir fry god is there. I like to sass mine up with tofu.
The real differentiating factor in any stir fry is which kind of sauce you mix it all with. I like peanut/sesame-based sauces a lot, but I have also been known to mix soy sauce and corn-starch and call it a day. There are a number of commercially-packaged stir fry sauces you can try if you are so inclined. For this stir fry, I decided on a sesame theme with tahini and sesame seeds.
wine pairing: Sam Adam's Summer Ale

Tofu
  • 6 oz. firm tofu, cubed
  • 2 TBSP. cornstarch
  • 3 TBSP. vegetable oil
Stir Fry
  • 1/4 a white onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, mined or pressed
  • 1/2 a large carrot
  • 6 medium mushrooms, quartered
  • 2 c. broccolli florets cut into bite size pieces
  • 2 heads of baby bok choy
    Sauce
    • 2 tbsp. tahini
    • 2 tsp. soy sauce
    • 2 tbsp. unsweetened grain milk
    • 4 tbsp. water
    1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the grain milk with the tahini until it starts to thicken. Add the soy sauce and water, set to the lowest possible setting, and leave it to stay warm while you work on the stir fry.
    2. Toss the cubed tofu with cornstarch to coat (think Shake n. Bake) and heat the oil in a wok over high heat. Add the tofu and toss to coat, cooking until it turns a light brown. 
    3. Reduce heat to medium-high and add the onions, garlic, and carrots and cook until the onions are translucent. 
    4. Add the mushrooms and cook a 2 minutes, until they start to sweat. 
    5. Add the broccolli and cook for 2-3 minutes.
    6. Stir in the bok choy and cook everything together for an additional 3 minutes.
    7. Stir in the sauce and serve over rice or noodles and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment