Friday, June 4, 2010

Brownies

As anyone who is a regular reader knows, I have been on a lot of dates lately. Most of these dates have not gone right, for one reason or the other. Emotionally, I've really been through the ringer. First dates are very, very draining, because you have to put in a good deal of effort to put your best foot forward. I feel a lot of pressure to put on the Nicole Williams Show, that is a version of myself who is charming, witty, and entertaining, even in the presence of near-strangers. I think that I do an ok job of this, although my call-back ratio would suggest otherwise (there aren't that many).
After getting through the initial challenge of the first date, assuming that I have made someone like me enough, there is the second date. Over the past few months, the second date has marked the point at which I start evaluating the other person. I start to imagine what it would be like to really date them and I apply my critical thinking and logical reasoning skills to determine if there are any flags or deal-breakers. I've had a lot of trouble finding guys who have everything I am looking for. I need someone who is attractive, kind, intelligent, articulate, and confidant. It would be nice to have someone who is also health-conscious, considerate, and a hard-worker. There are some things that I just consider a bonus, for example being a vegan or living the music lifestyle.Yes, I stack-rank the things I am looking for, because I am just that good of a Project Manager.
I've recently read some articles that call out girls my age for having too many requirements for men. One urged me to settle for Mr. Good Enough. Reading these articles, I wondered if I should just settle. I had a major problem though. My Mr. Right existed, and I knew it because I was lucky enough to be friends with him. 
I know that a lot of my readers enjoy my bad date stories and that they are a constant source of entertainment for my friends and co-workers. That is why I hope that no one here is too disappointed that after going out on dates with 24 different men since the beginning of the year, I have ended up with the same one who was standing next to me on New Year's Eve.
 After the jump, please enjoy the reduced-fat vegan brownies that I brought along on what turned out to be our first date.
Reduced Fat Vegan Brownies
  • 1/2 c. flour
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 3 TBSP cocoa powder
  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 c. water
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • 2 TBSP vegetable oil
  • 2 TBSP applesauce
  • 2 squares of dark chocolate, chopped
Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
Beat together the oil, applesauce, and sugar for about a minute. Stir in the vanilla.
Add the water to the flour mixture and stir well before adding the oil/applesauce mixture. Fold in the chopped chocolate.
Pour into a small greased pan, I used a pie plate.
Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

Optional Peanut Butter Ribbon: Heat 4 tablespoons of organic peanut butter (I press my own at the Whole Foods) and stir in 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar. Drizzle over the top of the brownie batter and swirl in with a knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment