Sunday, February 7, 2010

Vegan Pancakes


Let's talk about Vegan pancakes.
Anyone who has ever been to Swingers in Santa Monica knows the joy of vegan chocolate-chip pancakes, which they only serve on the weekends. And who doesn't fondly remember the beloved Mrs. Buttersworth or Aunt Jemima? I've spent way too much time at I-HOP in my lifetime. Pancakes are hands-down my favorite breakfast food.
I have a friend who makes fantastic vegan pancakes. They're thin and light and chewy, more like a McDonald's pancake than anything else. I have had great trouble replicating his recipe, although I have finally identified the right type of flour and will be doing another test batch this week.

In the meantime, I studied some recipes online and through a series of experiments, devised a vegan pancake recipe that is light and fluffy. It reminds me more of an Aunt Jemima pancake than anything else. For the picture above, I added some fresh blueberries which cut down on the need for sugar in the recipe.

Vegan Pancakes Take 1

1 cup whole wheat flour
1.5 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp baking powder
dash of salt
1 cup of vanilla soymilk
ener-gee egg replacer for 2 eggs
1 tsp of vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
healthy dash of cinnamon
1/2 a cup of fresh blueberries (rinsed and dried)

1. Mix egg replacer powder with water and set aside.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl.
3. pre-heat a non-stick pan to medium-high heat
4. In a separate bowl, mix soy milk, oil, and vanilla and add prepared egg replacer
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix thoroughly
6. Fold in 1/2 cup of blueberries
7. Spray skillet with cooking spray and immediately pour in about 1/2 a cup of pancake batter. Wait until the bottom is brown and flip.

Makes 4 pancakes, 4 inches in diameter, 180 calories/pancake.

1 comment: