Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Return of the Pancake

In December, I was lucky enough to have someone make me the most delicious vegan pancakes I've ever had.

 Like a crack addict, I scoured the internet for a vegan pancake recipe similar to how I remember his. You will remember the recipe I posted earlier in the week. They were good, but they weren't "the pancakes I was looking for". So, I guilted him into providing me with his recipe. I was overjoyed at the prospect of having a steady supply of these pancakes, because I really did like them THAT much. They're the perfect combination of chewy vs. fluffy, and they taste delicious.


So, I make the pancakes, and what do you know, they come out wrong. The batter was much too thick and I couldn't get a good pour. Also, the texture was a little too grainy. I tried another batch with more liquid, but still no dice. I wanted those crepe-like pancakes pretty badly, so I e-mailed Monsieur Le Crepe. I gave him the third degree about these pancakes, and like Kaiser Soze he weaved a fantastical description of exactly what steps I would need to take to replicate his recipe.

It turns out that the secret is 100% in the flour. Arrowhead Mills unbleached flour, available at your local Whole Foods. I was told to look for the whole wheat, but couldn't find it, so I broke my no white-flour rule. I bought a bag, and this morning I was finally able to replicate the pancakes I had so desperately been craving.


Vegan Pancakes
5/8 c. unbleached arrowhead mills white or whole wheat flour
1 tbsp. sugar (I had to use powdered sugar this morning because it was all I had on hand)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tbsp. egg replacer
2 tbsp. water
3/4 c. of soy milk
a healthy dash of cinnamon

1. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl, do not pre-mix the egg replacer.
2. Add milk and water and whisk. For this step, I went ahead and used my magic bullet, it took mere seconds to blend perfectly.
3. Heat a pan to medium high and coat with earth balance or non-stick cooking spray. I used the spray this morning.
4. Pour in pancake batter and let cook on one side until the edges are firm and tiny bubbles rise to the surface. Then flip and cook until golden brown on the other side
18 silver dollar pancakes at 22 calories each

This morning I tried these babies with a little bit of pumpkin butter. Delicious

No comments:

Post a Comment