Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sometimes you have to show a little skin. This reminds boys of being naked, and then they think of sex.

Alicia Silverstone graced the silver screen in Clueless, a movie that spoke to the mid-90's zeitgeist. Alicia is one of my favorite vegans, and I really do need to get out there and buy her new book, The Kind Diet. Alicia touts the benefits of veganism, including weight loss, improved health, and general good karma. I think that it's great that she is using her notoriety to promote a plant-based lifestyle, especially when there are so many celebrities who are happy to plug fast food restaurants and soft drinks.  I could gush for days about Alicia, but this is my blog (her's is here).



Two foods make my life worth living: chocolate and peanut butter. After my vegan month, I have no taste for milk chocolate. I crave the intense flavor of dark chocolate. This is great for me, because it takes much less to satisfy my monthly chocolate cravings. Another thing that I love is peanut butter. I love it so much that I can't keep it in the house, because an entire jar can disappear in three days. However, I am a big believer that any successful, long term diet needs a little room for indulgence. So, I was very excited when I came across Alicia's recipe for vegan peanut butter cups. This recipe uses earth balance, organic peanut butter, and dark-chocolate to create a dessert that is sinfully delicious. It makes a dozen peanut butter cups, so it would be perfect to give as a gift, or to bring into the office. Or I suppose you could eat all 12 yourself, but then you would pretty much be done eating for the day, just like when you get a chipotle burrito.

For sweetener, I used organic raw sugar, but you can tweak it to whatever your dietary restrictions might require. I used organic unsalted peanut butter and one of those huge 1 lb dark chocolate bars from Trader Joes (which is the cheapest way to buy dark chocolate). I ran into one hang up while melting the chocolate. Mine was very thick and did not easily pour over the peanut butter. I added a few extra tablespoons of soy milk, which seemed to do the trick. I love the idea of graham cracker crumbs in the peanut butter filling, because it perfectly mimics the taste and texture of Reese's peanut butter cups.

The Kind Diet: A Simple Guide to Feeling Great, Losing Weight, and Saving the PlanetThis recipe was super easy to make, but the peanut butter cups look very impressive. I was very excited to serve these at my Valentines Day tea party, which featured a wide assortment of vegan baked goods. I crunched the numbers and my finished product had 160 calories per peanut butter cup. Like I said, these are good for a once in awhile treat.

The recipe can be found here: Alicia Silverstone's Vegan Peanut Butter Cups

No comments:

Post a Comment