Sunday, February 28, 2010

(Mis)Adventures in the Vegan Community

Thursday night I was very excited to get out of work early due to a phenomenal job by my team. I celebrated by doing what I always do when I get out of work early, going to gymnastics class. I was really on point Thursday, working the rings, trying to learn the bars, hitting my new trampoline tricks. Then we had "the incident". I was doing a backhandspring when a guy walked right behind me, causing my arm to hit him in the face instead of making contact with the floor. I took a hard landing on my neck, and heard a very scary cracking sound. Luckily, I'm ok.... for the most part. I sprained my upper back and strained my neck, and I have been sore for the past couple of days. My doctor benched me from all working out, and  I have to wait and see how it heals before making a decision about gymnastics next week. This was in some ways a less serious injury than the great springboard incident of July, where I ended up on crutches for a week. However, I'm told that injuries like this can take a lot longer to heal and cause continued problems. If anyone wants to come visit me and bring me vegan food or movies, just give me a holler, because my apartment is boring. 
Last night was my first event with a vegan group I found on meetup.com called Vegan Drunks Drinks (I heard that joke about 5 times last night and decided I had to use it here). We met at The Waffle on Sunset Blvd, which is a vegetarian-friendly restaurant, although I felt less than safe ordering off of their menu. No worries though, because luckily, a lot of liquors are in fact vegan. I had a delicious take on a Malibu Bay Breeze with pineapple juice, cranberry juice, vodka, and champagne. The bartenders were very nice, even if they were slow at times. I empathized with one of them, who was still in training.
Venue aside, the event was really great. I met more vegans in 2 hours than I have in the past 2 months, and it was great to talk about being vegan. I got a bunch of new tips for websites and different restaurants to try. It was great to also be able to talk about things like yoga and meditation. Everyone was super friendly and outgoing, which ,I'll be honest, I was worried about. Sometimes vegans get a bad rap for being boring, but these kids really knew how to party. I can't wait for the next one.
In other news, my business cards came on Saturday!. When I opened my mailbox, I actually squealed in delight, which completely freaked out my neighbor and his baby. So then I felt kind of stupid, but I ripped open the box on the spot, and was really excited to see 250 of these beautiful babies. They were just in time to hand out to some people at last night's event, so I will give a big hey and hello to my new favorite vegans.
I'm up to 901 hits, and on track to make it to a thousand at some point early this week. Maybe I'll celebrate with a special recipe for all my readers, or maybe I'll be selfish and just have a shot of patron by myself.

1 comment:

  1. Holler! Used your business card just now. Add'n ya to my RSS reader! Do the same for us thehealthyvegans.com (now we've got to make some cards!)

    ReplyDelete