Monday, April 12, 2010

Tofu Scramble

This morning I woke up and had an intense craving for tofu scramble. I have done some recipe research on it  in the past, but never gotten around to making it. Usually I want something sweet for breakfast: pancakes, french toast, or even just an english muffin with peanut butter, but every once in a blue moon I want something salty and with a little heat.
I luckily had all the ingredients on hand for my tofu scramble, except for onions. Somehow I never seem to have onions in the house when I need them, and when I do have them in the house, they go bad because I don't use them. Luckily it was a Saturday morning and the farmers market was in full swing across the street. I threw on my sneakers and my members only jacket and "rolled out" as I like to call it when I leave the house looking like an abonimable snowman in the morning. I am NOT a pretty sight to wake up to in the morning, in case you were wondering. I got to pay a visit to my favorite farmer, a Brit who sells Spanish Onions, which are smaller than regular onions and thus the perfect size for my table-for-one lifestyle. I came home and put together my scramble. I'll be honest, it was a little off. I think that the nutritional yeast plus the daiya just gave it too strong of a flavor, so I adjusted the measurements before posting it below. That's right, readers, I do all of the mis-adventuring so that you don't have to.



Tofu Scramble

  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 6 oz of tofu cut into 1/2" cubes
  • 4 medium mushrooms, sliced
  • a handful of frozen spinach (take it out of the fridge about 15 minutes early, but it doesn't have to be totally defrosted)
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • dash of cumin
  • 1/2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
  • 1 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1/4 c. water
  • 1 oz. cheddar-flavored daiya
  • fresh ground black pepper
  1. Spray a pan with non-stick cooking spray and sautee the onions for 2 minutes over high heat. 
  2. Crumble in your tofu. Don't mash it completely, just crumble it until it resembles scrambled eggs. Turn the stove on to high and add the mushrooms and spinach.
  3. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  4. Add the garlic powder, salt, cumin, nutritional yeast, and soy sauce. Stir well.
  5. Add the water, you may need more or less depending on how much water was in the tofu when you started.
  6. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 3 minutes. 
  7. Turn off the head and stir in the shredded daiya cheese until melted. 
Serve with tortillas, over toast, or with hash browns. I went with the hash browns and a nice cup of Sumatra coffee with almond milk. This recipe serves 2 people at about 210 calories each, or just one very hungry person

No comments:

Post a Comment