Friday, April 2, 2010

Eggplant Parm

Do you notice anything different about today's post as opposed to every post I've put up here so far? That's right, somebody finally got a real camera to take pictures of food. Yesterday a friend surprised me with a digital camera for my birthday (thanks again), and my readers (of which he is one) will no longer have to suffer through the poorly pixelated i-phone shots that I'm sure were starting to drive everyone crazy. Look at how crisp and vibrant this picture is. My food actually looks edible now, which I assume is a win for a food blog. I took the new camera out on a shakedown cruise this afternoon, when I threw together a quick tomato sauce and heated up some of the most delicious eggplant parm I've ever tasted. I will save the sauce recipe for another post, because it's fun for me to imagine people sitting at home dying of anticipation. I have a rich and active imagination.

Eggplant Parm
  • 3/4 a large eggplant
  • 1 c. panko breadcrumbs
  • 1 tsp. dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/2 c. plain unsweetened soymilk
  • 2 tsp. ener-g egg replacer
  • 1/4 c. flour
  • 1 c. tomato sauce
  • 1/4 c. shredded daiya cheese
Prep work: Cut the eggplant into 1/4" thick slices. Mix the breadcrumbs, basil, garlic powder, and salt and pepper and spread in a shallow dish or plate. Mix the soymilk and ener-g. Coat a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set the oven to a low broil. 
Dip each eggplant slice in water, then drag it through the flour. Dip into the soymilk mixture and press into the breadcrumbs. Arrange the slices in a single layer on the baking sheet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until the breadcrumbs start to brown.
Remove the eggplant from the oven and spoon tomato sauce over each slice. Sprinkle with shredded daiya. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and cook at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove the foil and bake for another 5 minutes until the cheese is browned.
~50 calories per slice


This dish is something that you can easily freeze and heat up as needed. I like having some emergency food in the house to avoid a vegan crises. I freeze individual portions and just heat them up in the toaster oven as needed. Please remember to use the unsweetened soy milk, and if you forget, don't say I didn't warn you.

No comments:

Post a Comment