Friday, April 9, 2010

New Order

I know that you know this by now, but I really do love vegan pancakes. At this point, any variation on my classic pancake recipe is merely gratuitous, but I'm just finding so many different ways to make them.  I love experimenting in my kitchen. Sometimes it works out really well for me, and sometimes it's a bit of a disaster. I had never seen a recipe for blue corn pancakes before, but I did see them mentioned in the Skinny Bitch meal plan in the back of the book. So I decided, hey, this must be something that vegans eat. When I saw the blue corn flour in the Whole Foods bulk section, I realized that I had an opportunity to give them a try without necessarily committing to an entire pound of flour. It was like a test drive, or one of those boys who just wants to be friends in the beginning. I had a low stakes way of trying my hand at blue corn pancakes. I realize that the picture may make these little guys look unappetizing, but that's either a function of my very poor photography or just the fact that they are slightly blue. Either way, I still need to get a better camera than the one on my i-phone. I made these pancakes, very appropriately, one Monday morning. Thus, the punny name.


Blue Monday Pancakes
  • 5/8 c. blue corn flour
  • 1 tsp. agave (because it goes better with the blue corn)
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tbsp. egg replacer
  • 1 tbsp. water
  • 3/4 c. of almond milk
  • a healthy dash of cinnamon
  1.  
  2. Pour the flour, agave, baking powder, salt, egg replacer into a bowl. Add the almond milk and water and mix until blended. 
  3. Add a dash of cinnamon.
  4. Spray the bottom of a frying pan (or pancake griddle if you are lucky) with nonstick spray and heat the pan to medium-high. The heat is very important if you want a golden brown pancake.
  5. Pour your batter and cook each pancake for about a minute, or until bubbles form at the top and the batter begins to firm. Flip and cook for another minute until golden brown on both sides. 

8 pancakes at 41 calories each

No comments:

Post a Comment