Thursday, July 1, 2010

Tex-Mex Breakfast!

OK, so I probably talked a lot of shit about tex-mex breakfast when I found the recipe on the McDougall website. I probably continued to poke fun at it as I reworked the recipe. I continued to be a smart-ass even as we sat down and ate tex-mex breakfast. However, I was eating my words once I realized 1: it's delicious and 2: it's really, really good for you.
I made this breakfast a few weeks ago and substituted tofu for the brown rice recommended by the officiall McDougall recipe. Some members of my household can't really get behind the entire "rice for breakfast" idea.
On the day I took the picture, I may have undermined the entire "oil-free" concept by adding some crumbled vegan sausage. The reason behind the addition was pretty straightforward. I had the vegan sausage patties on hand from before I went on my McDougall bender, and didn't want to let it go to waste. I'm big on not letting things go to waste.


Tex-Mex Tofu Scramble

serves 2 at around 400 each

1 c. frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
6 oz. firm tofu
1 tsp. garlic powder
pinch of tumeric
2 vegan breakfast sausage patties
1/4 c. chopped green onions
1/3 c. frozen corn
1 tomato, chopped
pepper to taste
2 whole wheat tortillas

1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pre-heat the oven to 425. Lay the potatoes in a single layer and bake until golden brown.
2. Meanwhile, crumble your tofu by hand and mix with the tumeric and garlic powder. Prep all of your vegetables.
3. In a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, crumble the sausage patties and add the green onions. Cook for a minute and then add the frozen corn.
4. When the corn begins to thaw, add the crumbled tofu mixture and chopped tomato. Stir and cook for 3-5 minutes. If it starts to stick to the pan, or dry out, add a few tablespoons of water.
5. When you add the tofu to the skillet, toss the tortillas in the oven next to the potatoes.
6. When the tortillas are warm, place them on a plate and spoon out the tofu mixture on top. You can wrap these up like burritos if you are so inclined, but I was not. Serve with the potatoes and possibly some sort of fruit. I used a tangerine.

No comments:

Post a Comment