Sunday, July 4, 2010

Oil-Free French Toast


Wow, or as the French would say, Oo-la-la. I am a girl who loves sweet foods for breakfast. However, when I think of French Toast I can't help but feel a little guilty thinking about all of the fat involved in cooking. Veganism took care of eliminating the cholesterol, Dr. McDougall took care of eliminating the fat. I, however, will take credit for my brilliant elimination of processed syrup by replacing it with a date compote.
Last month, I made my first-ever trip to Farmer's Choice, a brand new produce store on Pico in Santa Monica. It is in the same shopping center as the Trader Joe's and it is absolutely amazing. The produce looks, feels, and tastes as fresh as a farmer's market, but it's also incredibly cheap. On my second visit, I managed to buy 90% of the weekly produce for 2 people, and it only ran me $17. From talking to the checkout girl, I learned that they get most of their produce shipped in daily and use local sources whenever possible.
I ran in there to pick up some raspberries, but ended up taking a "quick look" around. My quick look turned into an excuse to fill my basket with fresh fruits and vegetables, including some of the sweetest, softest dates I've had in a long time. I previously have sworn by the date lady at the Virginia Avenue Park farmer's market. However, I am switching my allegiance over to Farmer's Choice.
Oil-Free French Toast with Date-Raisin Compote
For the Toast
  • 4 slices whole-grain bread
  • 1/4 c. raw cashews
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 1/2 TBSP maple syrup
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla
  • dash of cinnamon
Compote
  • 6 dates
  • 2 TBSP raisins
  • 1/4 c. sugar free apple juice
  • dash of cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 425. 
  2. Blend the cashews with the water and then mix in the remaining ingredients. 
  3. Line a baking pan with parchment paper. 
  4. Dip both sides of the bread in the cashew mixture and lay it on the parchment paper. Bake for 5 minutes at 425 degrees. Flip the toast and cook on the other side for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown.
  5. While the toast is cooking, remove the pits from 6 dates. Cut each date into roughly 4 bite-size chunks. 
  6. In a small saucepan, combine dates, raisins, apple juice, cinnamon, and vanilla over medium-high heat. Stir to combine and let the mixture come to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to low and let it thicken while the french toast finishes baking.
french toast serves 2 at 330 calories each, compote serves 2 at 110 calories each

1 comment: