Monday, July 19, 2010

The Proof is in the Pudding

A few weeks ago, my boyfriend and I were at Urth Cafe in Santa Monica, waiting in an extremely long line for the privilege of paying $6 for a cup of coffee (which we gladly do, because it's worth it). The line takes you past a very full and very delicious looking pastry case full of non-vegan baked goods. Now don't get me wrong, Urth does a decent job of having some vegan options. However, their vegan cookies taste like cardboard ground into dust and then stuck back together with glue. Even though I know they don't taste good, I sometimes end up with one of these cookies to quell the cravings brought on by that hellish pastry case. If I thought that I could get away with it, I would certainly bring my own delicious dessert to accompany what has to be the most perfect latte in the universe.
That particular time, I happened to notice a bread pudding. OK, I was probably staring at that bread pudding the way a Manhatten Socialite eyes the jewelry counter at Harry Winston's. Logically, I recognized that that bread pudding was full of butter and cream which were produced at the expense of baby animals everywhere. On the other hand, my mouth was telling me I was hungry. I decided to do what I always do, which is put together my own vegan version of said bread pudding.

Vegan Bread Pudding

  • 1 loaf cinnamon raisin bread
  • 2 cups vanilla flavored soy milk
  • 1 TBSP egg replacer powder mixed with 1/4 c. water
  • 2 TBSP cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 2 TBSP earth balance
Cut the cinnamon raisin bread into 1" cubes and leave in a bowl overnight.
Warm 2 cups of soy milk over low heat for about 5 minutes. It should be just below the boiling point.
Whisk in the egg replacer, cinnamon, vanilla, and sugar. Remove from heat.
Arrange the bread chunks in a nonstick pan. They should be about 3 inches deep. Pour the warm soymilk over the bread and dot with earth balance. Let it sit while the oven preheats.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. those urth cafe vegan cookies really put people off to veganism. They say "the worlds best vegan cookie" and taste like saw dust and therefore anyone tasting them will automatically assume all vegan food tastes like crap. We vegans need to get those removed from urth! I'd rather there be no cookies than ones that are so off-putting!

    ReplyDelete