Monday, May 3, 2010

Does Your Mother Know What You're Up To?

Follow me here: Abba Reference -> Mamma Mia Reference -> Greek Recipe
Gyros are something that I never liked as a non-vegan. I had never even tried one, so it was puzzling when I found myself craving them a few weeks ago. I've also been making it a point to expand my main dish repertoire. Sure, I give good breakfast, but a girl has to diversify. Also, I've been bringing my lunch to work every day, so I'm always looking for something that I can bring in and assemble quickly. I suppose you could assemble these at home without the soy-yogurt sauce, but even then I would worry about my pita getting soggy. As it was, I toasted the pita lightly and packed everything separately. The picture to the right is from when I made them at home for dinner. I don't want anyone accusing me of doctoring blog photos.
Originally I wanted to use seitan for this recipe, but Trader Joes was fresh out and I did not feel like making a trip to Whole Foods, so I ended up with beef strips. After relaying the recipe to a friend, I was informed that TJ's beef strips are actually Morning Star beef strips. Morning Star discontinued them, but Trader Joe's sells them under different packaging. It's funny to me how elusive some vegan food can be. These beef strips are shrouded in mystery. It really goes to show how far we vegans are willing to go in pursuit of a good meal.


Tzatsiki Sauce
    1 cup soy yogurt (plain)
    1 clove garlic or 1 teaspoon pre-crushe'd garlic
    1 fresh lemon
    1 cucumber small sized
    salt and pepper to taste

In a food processor, pule the garlic, cucumber, and soy yogurt until smooth. Stir in the lemon and salt and pepper. You can optionally add chives

Gyros
  • 1 package Trader Joe's "beef" strips
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 cloves of minced garlic
  • one bunch of fresh rosemary
  • salt and pepper
Saute the garlic and onion over medium high heat for 1 minute. Add pre-cooked  beef and cook for 5-7 minutes or until heated through.
Stuff half a pita with some of the meat mixture, lettuce, tomatoes, red onions, and Tzatsiki.

2 comments:

  1. oh I never thought of using plain soy yogurt like that! I always think of the stuff as dessert, way to make it savory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. why didn't you make the seitan? very easy, cooks in bulk, freezes well!

    ReplyDelete