Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Strawberry Banana Pancakes

I think that it's really commendable that I am so good at beating a dead horse re-inventing this vegan pancake recipe. At this point in the game, I'm doing it just to challenge myself and see just how versatile of a little recipe this is. Future implementations will include granola, chocolate (not chocolate chip, actual chocolate), and coconut macadamia. Maybe I should open up my own vegan pancake restaurant. I suppose that I would need some savory pancakes to round out my menu. I would also need capital: lots of capital. I've been toying lately with the idea of writing my own book. The concept would be a guide to healthy living, a way of turning your life around, through improving your diet, exercise, and lots of delicious and nutritious recipes. I worry that no one would want to buy it, so feel free to post reassuring comments about how you would buy two if you had the chance.
The other day I ended up with a banana on the edge. You know what I'm talking about. The skin is starting to develop some brown splotches and you know that a matter of hours stand between you and a wasted quarter. I knew that I had to act fast. I really love bananas. The potassium in them is great for light-headedness, which I sometimes have a problem with. Some people argue that 100 calories for a piece of fruit is excessive. Those people are stupid, bananas are great, and here's a new recipe.

Strawberry Banana Pancakes
1/2 a ripe banana
3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp. water
1 c. soymilk

In a mixing bowl (or I used my magic bullet), mash a banana. Add sugar and soymilk.
In a seperate bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet (again, I just pulsed on high for 10 seconds), adding water until you reach a good pancake-like consistency.
Dice the strawberries into little chunks and add to the batter, mix but do not pulse if you are using a food processor. 
Pour out onto a hot pan coated with nonstick spray.

Makes about 6 pancakes at 92 calories each.

No comments:

Post a Comment