Saturday, May 22, 2010

Healthy Fried Ice Cream?!?

I know what you're thinking right now: "What kind of drugs is she taking, or more importantly what kinds of drugs should she be taking?". I know it sounds crazy, because the term deep fried ice cream calls up visions of fatty frozen balls of ice cream rolled in a crunchy cinnamon mixture and deep fried in oil. I used to love me some deep fried ice cream, as you can see in this picture. You can also see my flabby arms and chubby little face. To channel my favorite vegan authors Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin would say: that is not the way to a sweet ass. Not only is that dessert as big as my head and following several margaritas, it's also a perfect storm of fat, milk (the intended purpose of which is to fatten baby cows), and tons and tons of sugar. However, it also tastes like heaven on earth, so I was in quite the conundrum the other day when I started craving it.
 Sometimes, part of being vegan is using a little ingenuity. I found a great recipe in a cookbook called College Vegetarian Cooking, which I picked up hoping to find some quick, easy, and tasty meal ideas. I was not disappointed, and they had a great recipe for what is essentially an ice cream cake with cornflakes on top of it. It was delicious, but their recipe still called for a bit more sugar than I would use and of course ice cream, so I made a few adjustments of my own and ended up with a delicious frozen treat.



Deep "Fried" Ice "Cream"
  • 1 quart of vegan ice cream (I used mocha)
  • 2 tbsp. melted earth balance
  • 1 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1/2 c. organic cornflakes
  • 1 tbsp coconut
  • 2 tbsp. cinnamon

Remove ice cream from the freezer and let it sit out for about 10 minutes before you start.
Pulse cornflakes in a blender to create a coarse crumb. Meanwhile, stick the coconut under a broiler for about a minute until it starts to brown ever so slightly.
Add coconut, sugar, cinnamon, and coconut to the cornflake crumbs. Mix with the earth balance and press into the bottom of a baking pan (9x9 works well here, but a bread tin will do in a pinch).
Spread the now-soft ice cream over the cornflake mixture and return to the freezer. Let it firm up for an hour.
When serving, cut into squares, flip upside down, and drizzle with melted dark chocolate. If you close your eyes, you can almost hear the bad karaoke of Acapulco Restaurant in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment