Monday, May 10, 2010

Tofu Curry

I've said it before and I will say it again. I have recently become obsessed with Indian food, and it's not just because I'm trying to use the huge jar of curry powder I bought. Since so many Indian recipes are already vegetarian, it's really easy to adapt them to be completely vegan. Plus, the spice and strong flavors are a nice break from my staple convenience foods like salads, veggie burgers and "quesadaiyas".
Tangent: I think it's important for everyone to have a couple of go-to dishes that require little to no cooking and can be put together in a matter of minutes. It's what keeps me from breaking down and running to the nearest drive-thru. However, any really healthy lifestyle does require commitment to the kitchen. It's not easy to come up with new, nutritionally balanced meals every week. I feel like I dedicate a lot of time to researching and building recipes, and that's before I even set foot in the kitchen.
I just felt like I had to vent my semi-frustration with everyone out there, because I don't want to come off as some sort of preacher. The next time that you are stressing out about meal planning, or feel like you spend too much time in the kitchen, just know that I have been there too. The bottom line, though, is that we spent a lot of time doing a lot of things: working, hanging out with friends, running errands, etc., and it's just as important to spend time nourishing and strengthening our bodies. So, here's a recipe that I came up with so you wouldn't have to.
 I ran into some problems while cooking this dish, because the tofu stuck to the pan quite a bit. I had to add extra spray and I still managed to lose most of my "crust". I just scraped it off the bottom of the pan and turned this into a semi-scramble. I suppose that my best bet would have been to add about a tablespoon of oil, but nobody likes a fat vegan, so I just dealt with it.
Tofu Curry
  • 1/2 lb. tofu (not silken)
  • 2 tbsp. cornstarch
  • 1/2 c. frozen peas
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1 1/2 tsp. fresh ginger
  • pinch of chili powder
  • 2-3 tsp. curry powder
  • 1 c. crushed tomatoes
Rinse, drain, and cube your tofu. Dredge it in cornstarch to help it crisp up a little on the outside. Heat a nonstick pan and spray it with a little cooking spray.
Stir-fry the ginger with the chili powder for 2 minutes. Re-spray the pan and add the tofu. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
Add the remaining spices, peas, and crushed tomatoes. You may need to add about half a cup of water at this point, because you want the tomatoes to simmer. Cook for another 7-10 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the peas are tender and warmed through.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog! My boyfriend and I are having fun reading it and trying out some of your recipes. The human interest/dating stories are fun too. (Sort of ala Keri Russell in Waitress.) Keep them coming. It's fun getting to know the person behind the recipes. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been rocking out the no fat vegan indian food all week! You can order most Dal dishes at Chandni in Santa Monica oil free. Their rice is too oily, though so we get Roti w/o out oil. Beware of that cooking spray, its 100% oil and not at all fat free (shady labeling laws). Using a lower heat setting will save you from sticking. We don't go above low heat on our non stick pans. Doubles the time, but worth it! More time to TAKE PICS to add to your blog posts :) I agree with the above poster! Great blog, keep up the stories!

    ReplyDelete