Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Simply Salad

I don't think that any culinary repertoire is ever complete without one good salad recipe. Salad is very ubiquitous in a vegan diet. A double helping can serve as a light lunch, or you can pair it with some vegan soup. Whenever I cook dinner for someone, I like to start out with a salad. It's simple to make ahead of time, so if I'm still working in the kitchen when they arrive, they don't have to just stare at me ravenously. Sometimes I'll even have a small salad in the middle of the afternoon to tide me over until dinner time. This is a simple recipe with a sweet home-made balsamic vinaigrette. 

Simple Spinach Salad
  • 1/2 a bag baby spinach
  • 1/4 c. dried cranberries (I like the orange-flavored ones)
  • handful of almonds
Vinaigrette
  • 1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp agave nectar
  • dash of garlic powder
  • fresh ground black pepper

  1. Whisk together the vinegar, agave, garlic, and black pepper.
  2. Throw your spinach in a large bowl. 
  3. Pour the dressing over the spinach and toss a few times to coat. 
  4. Sprinkle cranberries and almonds on top and serve to everyone's sheer amazement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment