Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Sausage Fest: How Many Sexual Innuendos Can I Fit in One Post

OK so maybe my life is about the farthest thing from a sausage fest, in the sense that I can't seem to keep  a man around long enough to make it to dessert.  On the other hand, if platonic male friends count, then call me Jodi Maroni and welcome to my sausage kingdom. I suppose that this is all material I should be saving for the book I'm working on. It's going to be a collection of recipes and the bad date stories that accompany them. Currently up for inclusion: bad date stir fry, let's just be friends lasagna, and breakup pancakes. Don't worry boys, all the names and faces will be changed to protect the innocent.
I'm a big fan of Tofurkey's Tomato Basil Sausage, and I am trying to be better about buying local produce. The Venice Whole Foods is really good about having a separate "locally grown" produce section. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the produce in that section was cheaper than it would regularly be, and it was very refreshing to go into a Whole Foods and not feel like I was being asked to drop trou and bend over. So, even though I was originally looking for green bell peppers, I ended up with a lovely (and affordable) carton of sweet yellow and red peppers. This recipe is for one, but could easily be stretched into two meals by addition of some pasta or vegan sandwich rolls.

Tofurkey and Peppers

  • 1 c. peppers, sliced thin but not yet julienned. 
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1/4 a white onion, diced
  • 1 Tofurkey sundried tomato basil sausage
  • white wine (I use 2 buck chuck Sauvignon Blanc)
  • 1/2 tsp. dried basil
  • fresh ground black pepper
  • dash of salt
Heat a skillet over medium high heat and spray lightly with oil.
Add diced onion and cook for 1 minute.
Reduce heat to medium and add garlic, stir and cook for 1 minute.
Add peppers and cook until they just begin to soften.
Add sliced sausage (I cut mine in half lengthwise and then into 1" segments) and increase heat.
Add just enough white wine to cover the pan. Stir in basil and salt and pepper.
Cook until the liquid has evaporated and everything is cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment